Sania Mirza Wedding news


The Real Slumdog: Resul Pookutty, Nominated For an Oscar in the Best Sound Mixing Category, Talks About His Rags-to-Riches Story

Resul Pookutty

Sound designer Resul Pookutty whose work for Slumdog Millionaire has been nominated for the Oscars, says he is the slumdog. "Villakkupara, the village that was home to me received electricity when I was 17. I grew up studying physics by a kerosene lamp, and listening to the 8.30 pm drama show on Aakashvani every Sunday. After graduating from the Film and Television Institute in Pune in 1995, I came to Mumbai. It wasn't easy finding work. I lived in a tiny MHADA flat with eight others in Andheri and walked from Juhu to Andheri station every day. To say that I'm grateful to this movie and to Danny Boyle, isn't putting it lightly," says Resul, who has received a nomination in the Best Sound Mixing category at the Oscars.

"I don't have any expectations, but I am certain A R Rahman will bag two trophies," he said. How does he react to critics who say Slumdog Millionaire is not an Indian movie? "The editor, the director and the cameraman aren't Indian. There was also one person from South Africa, the lighting head was from London and someone who brought the camera from Germany. That's it. That was the international crew in our movie. Everyone else was Indian. It's not fair to say the film is not Indian. Director Danny Boyle could have had technical staff flown in from anywhere in the world, but he chose us. And for that, my country, my city and I are being talked about the world over. There isn't any greater honour," smiled Pookutty.

Quickfire

>> Mumbai: My city
>> Sound: Everything in life
>> Slumdog: Special
>> Family: Very dear to me
>> AR Rahman: Mutual respect
>> The Oscars: Ultimate honour for a film technician
>> The CAS awards: Nothing beyond them
>> Favorite movie: Black
>> Favourite actor: Amitabh Bachchan
>> Favourite actress: Rani Mukherjee and Konkana 'Koko' Sen

Search This Site By Keywords