Sania Mirza Wedding news


Matt Damon's painfully wrong opinions on sexual harassment in Hollywood has internet fuming

Off late internet has been buzzing about the umpteen number of sexual harassment cases against various Hollywood personalities, major one being film producer Harvey Weinstein. Various people from Hollywood have come out claiming to be the victim of sexual harassment. Intially, when the news broke, Hollywood star Matt Damon, who has collaborated with Harvey on various projects, stated that he was unaware of his misdeed however later he admitted that Ben Affleck had told him about it. Now he has done a major faux pas, as he had said that all these sexual crimes shouldn't be clubbed under same punishment. He has said that the consequences for such misconducts should be based according to the gravity of the offence.

Talking to abc news, he said,

I do believe that there’s a spectrum of behavior. And we’re going to have to figure — you know, there’s a difference between, you know, patting someone on the butt and rape or child molestation, right? Both of those behaviors need to be confronted and eradicated without question, but they shouldn’t be conflated, right?


All of that behavior needs to be confronted, but there is a continuum. And on this end of the continuum where you have rape and child molestation or whatever, you know, that’s prison. Right? And that’s what needs to happen. Okay? And then we can talk about rehabilitation and everything else. That’s criminal behavior, and it needs to be dealt with that way. The other stuff is just kind of shameful and gross.

If this wasn't enough he even went on to talk about those recently accussed of sexual misconduct and rape etc. and sort of made it worse for himself. Talking about comedian Lois C.K., he was opinion that he should be cut some slack as he has admitted to his misconduct. He said,

The Louis C.K. thing, I don’t know all the details. I don’t do deep dives on this, but I did see his statement, which kind of, which [was] arresting to me. When he came out and said, “I did this. I did these things. These women are all telling the truth.” And I just remember thinking, “Well, that’s the sign of somebody who — well, we can work with that.”

I don’t know Louis C.K.. I’ve never met him. I’m a fan of his, but I don’t imagine he’s going to do those things again. You know what I mean? I imagine the price that he’s paid at this point is so beyond anything that he — I just think that we have to kind of start delineating between what these behaviors are.

While talking about Kevin Spacey and how he was cut out from the latest Ridley Scott film, All The Money In The World, he was of opinion that Spacey deserved it. He said,

That was smart. That was a total business decision by [Scott] Ridley. I haven’t talked to him, but … it wasn’t a creative choice for Ridley. Ridley has a big movie coming out … and nobody right now is in the mood to see a Kevin Spacey movie … And I don’t disagree with his decision to do that. I mean, that movie, I think, will do much better without Kevin in it.

And finally about the "monster"of the hour, Harvey Weistein, he said,

[With regard to the rape allegations,] nobody who made movies for him knew … Any human being would have put a stop to that, no matter who he was. They would’ve said absolutely no. You know what I mean? … I knew I wouldn’t want him married to anyone close to me. But that was the extent of what we knew, you know? And that wasn’t a surprise to anybody. So when you hear Harvey this, Harvey that — I mean, look at the guy. Of course he’s a womanizer … I mean, I don’t hang out with him.

Well, after all these painfully wrong opinions about sexual harassment or misconduct, Matt should take a leaf out of his character from The Martian and should really consider moving to Mars for the time being as Twitter was furious about it. Check out few of the reactions below:

On his statement, "You know, there’s a difference between, you know, patting someone on the butt and rape or child molestation, right?”

One user wrote, "Maybe Matt needs this is terms he can better grasp: There’s a difference between Ben Affleck as Daredevil & Ben Affleck as Batman but it doesn’t mean both aren’t bad."

Another said, "Sure, offered the choice, I'd choose the former. But the fact that he feels the NEED to make the distinction is troubling. I think he's viewed himself as a "good guy," and now has to rethink that and it troubles him. Otherwise, why make the rationalization?"

"Or maybe he's thinking of his good buds, the Afflecks brothers."

"The worst parts of this article are Damon's making it clear that, going forward, he will still protect a man he knows or works with against any accusations because "we talk" & he'd believe the man's story.That is what needs to be amplified-Matt Damon will protect sexual predators. Also, Matt Damon himself appears to have been accused of sexually assaulting women and has paid out hush money. Let's hope a reporter gets to the bottom of that."

"Repeated actions, no matter how small, is still harassment. Getting patted on the ass every other day is harassment. A pat on the butt almost always escalates anyway. That’s the issue with what he said."

I wonder what Matt has to say now?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Site By Keywords