Sania Mirza Wedding news


On His 45th Birthday on March 14, Aamir Khan's Friends Trace His Evolution.

Aamir Khan turns 45 on March 14. Film celebrities who have shared a close association with him trace his evolution as an actor


Mahesh Bhatt (Director, Dil Hai Ke Maanta Nahin, Hum Hai Rahi Pyar Ke)

What I like about Aamir:
Aamir is willing to walk the extra mile. He is very enthused, committed to his work, and supportive of his team. He is wise in selecting the script and team and giving his all to it. Ultimately, he will be a filmmaker. He is a sharp learner.

It's the loudest whisper that he's a control freak. A work of art is open to subjective interpretation but you have to go by the vision of one individual who is in charge of the ship.

You should take your job seriously but not yourself so seriously. That's when you become neurotic about things going your way. Narcissism and an unabashed need for control is an attribute of most stars. In Aamir, this is more pronounced.

What I'd like him to change:
He is still imprisoned in that persona that he has fashioned. When I see 3 Idiots, I don't think Aamir has evolved as an actor from the Dil Hai Ke Maanta Nahin days. He is efficient and sincere, looks and dresses up appropriately and gets his externals right. But there is no internal progression.

Lalit Pandit (Music composer, as part of Jatin-Lalit, Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikander, Ghulam, Fanaa)

What I like about Aamir:
He is friendly, down-to-earth, intelligent and has always been a good actor. When we were working together during Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar at Mansoor's (Khan, Aamir's cousin) farm, we'd play chess every night.

I made him sing too. Bahut phook-phook ke kadam rakhnewala insaan hai. But if you reason with him as a senior technician, he takes your word for it; and gets completely involved. When Aamir consented to sing 'Aati kya Khandala?' for Ghulam, we rehearsed daily for more than a month after 10 pm. He was nominated for the Best Singer award that year.

What I'd like him to change:
He takes his work too seriously... does not leave any scope for human error (laughs). I feel he should live life more. I remember once we met him when he had just returned from shooting Lagaan in Bhuj. His skin had turned dark and was peeling off. I told him, 'Kya kar raha hai yaar ... tujhe koi chhatri uthanewala nahin milta wahan?'. He is torturously committed to his work, and I would like him to slow down.

Vikram Bhatt (Director, Ghulam)

What I like about Aamir:
Aamir is a dream actor; directing him is like driving an automatic. People have accused him of being interfering but I think Aamir is an involved actor. He is a 'you convince me or I'll convince you' guy. He is not autocratic.

He is not the typical star actor who is just concerned about his role. He takes interest in the marketing of a film because he understands that for him to do well, the film has to do well.

I directed him in Ghulam (1998). I have to work with him again to know if he has grown as an actor. I don't know Aamir on the sets anymore.

What I'd like him to change:
Aamir is extremely sensitive. I wish he'd become the kind of person who comes out and says it straight if he is hurt or upset with someone. He just keeps things within and broods and mulls over it for years.

Indra Kumar (Director, Dil, Ishq, Mann)

What I like about Aamir:
I have seen him evolve. During the first schedule of Dil, he had to tell his screen father Anupam Kher 'I disown you'. After 10 retakes he wasn't getting it right. I called for a break. We were shooting in Dubash Bungalow, which is now Shah Rukh's bungalow, Mannat, and I remember we sat on the steps and I explained to Aamir that he was speaking very fast. He said, 'Accha, mujhe bolke dikha'. By the last schedule, there was a 360-degree change in him. After that, we did two more films together, Ishq and Mann, and he was a delight to work with. He is still growing and has become a giant who has dwarfed everyone else. Aamir has a quality of innocence, which encompasses his sincerity, passion and mischief.

What I'd like him to change:
Aamir should do two films a year and not one film in two years. Mansoor and I are the only ones who have done three films with him; I don't think he will ever do three films with anyone again.

Kunal Kohli (Director, Fanaa)

What I like about Aamir:
He started this culture of working on one film at a time, which has had a huge impact on Bollywood; from Lagaan onwards there has been a complete shift in the style of filmmaking. Once Aamir allotted me dates for Fanaa, he was completely available. He even asked me if he could take five-six days off because he wanted to marry Kiran (laughs)! If he came late, he would even apologise to the assistant directors. No one on the sets felt they were working with a big star. He would call the assistant director to his room to play scrabble.

One thing I have learnt from him is to stick to the script. We did disagree on a couple of issues. The way he played the character in the first half of Fanaa is the way I wanted it, whereas he wanted it a little more edgy. But once Aamir agrees to do your film, he leaves the decisions to you.

What I'd like him to change:
I really wish he would do more films; at least three a year. The difficult part is to get him to do your film (laughs).

Prasoon Joshi (Adman, Coke commercials, and lyricist, Rang De Basanti, Taare Zameen Par)

What I like about Aamir:
There is a saying, Poot ke paanv paalne mein hi dikhayi de jaate hain. From his very first film, I could see the spark within Aamir. In Taare Zameen Par, the moment he comes onscreen, the whole screen lights up. His instinct is becoming sharper by the day.

There are people who watch the river and those who swim in it. Aamir is the swimmer. What he brings to the table is integrity, honesty and a sharp understanding of cinema audiences. Aamir is all about detailing, nuances and little subtleties.

What I'd like him to change:
Nothing I wrote 'Rehna tu; hai jaisa tu' for him.

Ketan Mehta (Director Holi, Mangal Pandey)

What I like about Aamir:
During Holi (Aamir's debut) he was a young brat -- still in college, very instinctive, spontaneous and enthusiastic. He has now evolved into a very disciplined actor for whom work is worship; he is completely focused and a film buff to the core.

He is the second generation from a film family and therefore possesses a sharp instinct and commitment.

What I'd like him to change:
His strength lies in what he is, so why should I alter it?

Atul Kulkarni (Co-star RDB)

What I like about Aamir:
Aamir's growth is reflected in his choice of projects and the manner in which he portrays them. I was sceptical about him playing a 20 year-old in 3 Idiots (both of us are 1965 born) but I was blown when I saw him on screen. Earlier, I was not very fond of him as an actor but with every film, he is taking a leap. After you become a star, it is not easy to keep on improving.

I don't understand why people say he interferes. We had many discussions about my interpretation of Laxman Pandey in RDB but he was absolutely gracious when he stuck to his point and I stuck to mine. He has been in cinema since he was a four-year-old so he is bound to have better ideas. Which star would do Rang De Basanti or Taare Zameen Par in which the child is the star while he is out of focus in the poster? He has become the ISI mark of Hindi films -- an Aamir film guarantees a must-see.

What I'd like him to change:
I am not in a position to judge because I have not spent that much time with him. I'd like him to do more films with me, though.

Urmila Matondkar (Co-star, Rangeela)

There were times when you feel 'Oh my God, so many retakes' but you realise by the time he does the final take, the scene assumes another dimension. Some people think that he is not social but he is living life to the fullest, the way he wants -- taking breaks, travelling and putting on weight.

Gul Panag (Co-star, Tata Sky commercials)

As actors our view is very myopic, but Aamir sees the project as a whole and will try to make it better. While doing the Tata Sky ad he would give suggestions that I could never have thought think of.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Site By Keywords