Sania Mirza Wedding news


Mohammed Rafi Vs Lata Mangeshkar Fight Controversy Details - Mohd Rafi's Son Shahid Rafi Hits Back

Shahid Rafi, son of legendary playback singer Mohammed Rafi, has refuted claims by Lata Mangeshkar that his father had sent her an apology letter to resolve an issue between them. The late singer’s son Shahid Rafi lashes out at the singer, alleging that she maligned his dad’s name

Mohammed Rafi’s Son Shahid Rafi With Wife Firdaus and Son Fuzail Rafi During the Launch of the Md.Rafi Academy

Lata Mangeshkar’s interview to Mumbai Mirror titled “I am far from perfect - I have a fierce temper”, where the songstress recalled her fight with (late) Mohd Rafi over royalty rights and said she later got a written apology from him.

Lataji had told Mumbai Mirror: “At a meeting attended by prominent singers and musicians, Rafi Saab stood up and said, 'Main aaj se Lata ke saath nahin gaoonga'. I retorted, 'Rafi Saab, ek minute. Aap nahin gaayenge mere saath yeh galat baat hai. Main aapke saath nahin gaoongee'. I stormed out and called my composers there and informed them to rope in another singer if it was a duet with Rafi Saab.” Asked about their patch-up, she had said, “Composer Jaikishen took the initiative. I asked him to get a written apology from Rafi Saab. I got the letter and ended the cold war. But whenever I’d see him, the hurt would return.”

Rafi’s son Shahid called a special press conference here Wednesday (26 Sep 2012) to give his verdict on Lata's claim. Shahid Rafi has come out in strong protest, alleging she is lying and maligning his father’s name, especially now when neither Rafi nor composer Jaikishen are alive to defend themselves.

Shahid Rafi, explaining their side of the story, says, “The controversy went on for a while. Lataji and some other singers were looking for royalty, saying they should get a cut from the producer, director etc. My dad wasn’t very keen on that. He was this humble, soft spoken, amazingly generous person. His stand was, ‘Our job is to sing and we get money for that. There is no point in getting greedy.’ Hence, they had a fight and he decided to stop singing any duet with her.”

Questioning Lataji’s claim that his dad had given her a written apology, he adds, "My father was a national property. His fan following is bigger than any artist. He passed away about 25 years ago, and now she is talking about this letter? People keep valuable documents for even 50 years. Why hasn’t she retained the paper which would give her dignity? If she can prove that my father had written an apology letter to her, then she should come out and produce it. In case she does, I am ready to apologise to her," Shahid told reporters here.

Shahid’s version of the patch-up is rather different. He says after his dad stopped singing with Lataji, he continued getting offers for duets and opted to sing with another brilliant singer, Suman Kalyanpur.

Shahid claimed that his father had no competition at the time, whereas Lata did.

"There is no competition between her and my father as actors like Shammi Kapoor and Dharamendra wanted him to sing for them. But there were other female singers like Suman Kalyanpur, Hemlata and Mubarak Begum and others who might have been competition to her. So maybe her career was at stake," he said.

At this point, Lataji started feeling insecure and approached composer Jaikishan to make peace between them.

“When Jaikishan approached my father and requested him to make amends with Lataji, he immediately agreed because he wasn’t the kind to hold on to grudges. But there is no way he would have apologised to her because he always stood by his principles. Why didn’t she bring up this issue when he was alive?” Shahid says, adding, “I don’t have to give any further justification about my dad’s reputation. Even today, my dad has more followers than Lataji.”

Mohammad Rafi was one of the most popular singers of 1950s and 1960s and gave hits like Chaudhvin ka chand ho, Husnwale tera jawab nahin, Chhoo lene do nazuk hothon ko and Maine poocha chand se. He died in 1980. He was 55.

He also sang duets with Lata such as Yunhi tum mujhse baat karti ho and Tujhe jeewan ki dor se.

Excerpts…From Lata Mangeshkar’s interview to Mumbai Mirror where she spoke about her feud with te late Md Rafi

Eighty three! You are kidding...
(laughs) 83 it is. Fact is I've never felt myself growing older. Time has just flown.

That's because you have never seen a downside in your singing career of 70 years.There was drive and determination in me. I was not born to lose. One has to be fully committed to one's career. Otherwise there's no point.

What is your advice to up and coming artistes?
Do you think they need or want my advice? The young today are far smarter than I ever used to be.

Do you feel sorry for singers today?
Not at all but if they'd sung for great composers, they'd have definitely benefitted.

Have you stopped singing for films?
Of course not! I will sing till I can. Maybe today's music directors can't connect with me. They probably think I'm too old and tired to sing. I am not bothered but I can't say yes to them until I hear the words and tunes. I fear not enjoying a song during the recording.

Have you ever had such an experience in your career?
Only once! I sang a song composed by Madan Mohan for the film Chacha Zindabad produced by Om Prakash, who was my raakhi brother. After the recording, I called Om Prakash aside and insisted he get the song sung by someone else.

The situation in the song was about a classical singer who starts singing in a ramba-samba style to attract her boyfriend. Initially, Om Prakashji protested but ultimately he relented to my wishes.

But you've sung cabaret songs like Aa jaan-e-jaan in Inteqaam and Naam hai mera jameela in Night In London…Those required a lot of convincing from the composers Laxmikant-Pyarelal. They made sure the words weren't cheap and the tune was within my comfort zone. Besides, a graceful dancer like Helen performed on those songs.

Did you leave the westernised numbers to your sister Asha Bhosleji?
Please don't make me sound like a martyr. I just couldn't connect with cabaret songs. What Asha can sing, I can tell you without any pretence of modesty, I can never sing.

How’s your equation with her?
We meet often. Though she doesn't stay next door any more, she has her morning tea with me whenever she's here. Whenever she has a show, she seeks my blessings. I've heard her lyric book has my picture in it. I don't have a troubled relationship with any of my siblings. Squabbles happen in every family…

When people approach you, they stand at a distance like one does in a temple…
Their love and respect is my biggest reward. It's God's grace. However, I am far from perfect. I have a fierce temper. I've mastered it over the years but when I'm angry, no one can force me to do anything I don't want to.

Can you give an example?
Mohd Rafi Saab and I fought over royalty rights. At a meeting attended by prominent singers and musicians, he stood up and said, "Main aaj se Lata ke saath nahin gaoonga." I retorted, "Rafi Saab, ek minute. Aap nahin gaayenge mere saath yeh galat baat hai. Main aapke saath nahin gaoongee." I stormed out and called all my composers there and then and informed them to rope in another singer if it was a duet with Rafi Saab.

But there was a patch-up with Rafi Saab?
Composer Jaikishan took the initiative. I asked him to get a written apology from Rafi Saab. I got the letter and ended the cold war. But whenever I'd see him, the hurt would return.

Why were you angry with Sachin Dev Burman?
He was quoted in an article saying, "Who made Lata's career? We did. We gave her the songs." I don't know if he was misquoted but we didn't talk for three to four years. Till his son Pancham (R D Burman) mediated. When Burman Sr called, I was still very angry and spoke to him very curtly. Then he said, "Lata, tu aaja, tujhe gana hai" and my anger evaporated. We broke the ice with the song Mora gora ang layee le in Bandini.

Who was your favourite co-singer?
(laughs) I really liked Kishore Kumar. He had a virile man's voice, and he was truly versatile. My first duet with Kishoreda was in the Dev Anand-starrer Ziddi. We were both great fans of K L Saigal Saab.

Who are your favourite composers?
Each composer was unique. However, Sajjad Hussain Saab, who did very few films, impressed me deeply although I sang only seven to eight songs for him. And, my brother Hridaynath Mangeshkar impressed me.

Do you regret not getting married?
Not the least. I believe an individual's birth, marriage and death are pre-ordained.

What is your message to your fans?
For those in the world of music, please spare time to understand Indian classical music. Too much attention is given to clothes and accessories. For everyone else, we need more genuine love for the country.

The privileged classes today are bothered about petrol and diesel prices while the poor can't afford two meals a day. I am a very small person but I want us to think beyond personal and regional interests. That's my birthday wish…

- As told to Subhash K Jha

Below are some legendary songs sung by Mohammed Rafi and Lata Mangeshkar together
Mohammed Rafi and Lata Mangeshkar Duets/classics/songs





No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Site By Keywords