Sania Mirza Wedding news


They locked me in cupboards, called me ‘blubber’: Kate Winslet on being fat-shamed

They locked me in cupboards, called me ‘blubber’: Kate Winslet on being fat-shamed


Oscar-winning actor Kate Winslet has revealed that she was bullied and fat-shamed during her childhood and was called “blubber”.

Winslet opened up about her childhood memories at the fourth annual WE Day UK event in London on Wednesday, reports aceshowbiz.com.

“I was always comparing myself to others. They called me ‘blubber’, they teased me for wanting to act. Locked me in the cupboard and would laugh at me,” Winslet said.

“I wasn’t the prettiest and I was even told that I’d be lucky in my acting if I was happy to settle for the fat girl parts. I’d never let go of that, and they’d say, ‘You’re just not what we’re looking for, Kate’. I’d hear that a lot. This unkindness made me feel truly horrendous,” she added.

Winslet shared that due to her over-sized figure she was often cast in weird roles, but she didn’t mind doing them as she loved acting.

“I was always auditioning for the school plays. I didn’t really get very good parts, mind you, but I didn’t mind. I didn’t care. I would often get cast as the crocodile, or the scarecrow, or the dark fairy. I was even a dancing frog once. But it didn’t matter. I still loved it,” she said.

“I loved acting. It didn’t matter how big or small the parts were. I wanted to be great and I was determined to keep learning.

“And then one day, I was cast as Rose in Titanic. The most unlikely candidate, Kate from the sandwich shop in Reading, suddenly acting in one of the biggest movies ever made,” she added.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Site By Keywords